Thinking. Activities. Inclusive. Learning. School.
Children and therapy dogs working together to foster mental and emotional wellbeing. T.A.I.L.S. aims to develop pupils' resilience and capacity to respond to their challenges more confidently. It encourages thinking and adoption of coping mechanisms. T.A.I.L.S. is an innovative approach to promote a positive learning experience.
Toffee is an Irish Doodle. She is a big dog but very gentle. Toffee has been visiting schools, community groups and residential homes. She has passed her behaviour assessment and is fully insured as a therapy dog.
Pupils should be able to:
- identify their feelings and emotions
- explore their self-esteem and self-confidence
- recognise worries and fears in stories
- explore how to express their fears and worries
- develop a coping strategy when feeling afraid and worried
- recognise and identify anger
- explore how their actions affect others
- develop a coping strategy when anger occurs
- discuss what makes them sad
- explore how to express sadness
- develop a strategy when sadness comes
- To discuss what makes them happy
- Explore how to express happiness
- Share ideas to spread happiness
- Explore strategies and skills for keeping themselves healthy and safe
- Responsibility and respect